Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Window Clenear is to receive Lifesaver of the Year (UK)

A KENDAL window cleaner who risked his life to save a little boy from drowning is to be honoured for his heroic actions.

Steve Turner, of Rinkfield, is to receive the Lifesaver of the Year award from the Lancashire branch of the Lifesaving Society at a special lunch on March 9.

Mr Turner, 45, plunged into the icy sea when he saw four-year-old Kingsley Green motionless in the water off Rossall Promenade, near Thornton Cleveleys, last October.

Kingsley had fallen into the sea from a slipway where he had been playing with his sister Caitlin, nine, and brother Kai, three.

His mother Sarah Green, 38, then called for help and Mr Turner, who had been fishing nearby, jumped into the sea and swam out more than 30 metres to reach the boy.

The youngster who was lying face down in the water, was blue in colour and had foam around his mouth.

Once he reached Kingsley, Mr Turner pulled him back to shore with the aid of a rubber ring where a male nurse resuscitated him before an ambulance arrived Mr Turner said the local reaction from people who have heard his story has been ‘outstanding’.

“People have been offering me money. Nearly every time I go out, even now, people offer to buy me drinks and shake my hand,” he said.

“I have always said that if I saw anyone in trouble I would help and I’m pleased I did.

“I’m a strong swimmer and so when I saw what was happening I felt I had to do something. I’m looking forward to the lunch. I don’t really know what to expect.

“I’m not sure who will be there but it should be a good afternoon.”

Inspector Jim Edmonds of Fleetwood Police said if Mr Turner had not swum out to save the child, the boy would have drowned.

The lunch is being held at Preston police headquarters.

Source: http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/8832269.Honour_for_Kendal_man_who_saved_boy___s_life/

No comments:

Post a Comment